Sunday, 11 January 2009

No Ashura Processions in Dubai?

Last Thursday, the 8th of January, I had to talk to someone in Dubai. The day being the 10th day of the month of Muhurram  when Iman Hussein's martyrdom is commemorated, I assumed that Dubai would be shut. So, I called up my friend on his mobile I was surprised to find out that he was in office and working. My surprise was even greater when my friend told me that Dubai doesn't have a public holiday for this occasion. Silly me, but makes sense, doesn't it? Dubai's ruling house is Sunni, why on earth should they mark Hussein's martyrdom? As for the thousands of Shia immigrants working in Dubai, who cares?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a shallow comment from a Sunni!! Maybe all Shites should stop supporting the injustice on Gaza since they are all Sunnis. But that is the difference between Shites & Sunnis!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Brothers
We are blessed by allah so we are muslims . Lets not get into these arguements. Lets stand hand to hand together and pray for mankind and peace. Thats whats islam is all about .

Allah Bless us all