Sunday, 31 January 2010

Imran Khan – Fundamentalist, Racist and Stupid!

I planned to write about Imran Khan as soon as I read this Dawn article by Nadeem F. Paracha a few days ago, but changed my mind soon after.

Now I’ve changed my mind once more and have decided to write about Imran’s most recent exploit after all.

When I followed cricket (until around the age of 18) I used to be an Imran fan. Even after I lost interest in cricket, I continued to follow Imran’s career as he got involved in philanthropy, got married to Jemima Khan, entered politics and later got divorced. My admiration for Imran dwindled rapidly once he started to veer towards the religious right in politics.

Though I never thought Imran was particularly clever, I didn’t think he could be so stupid. Displaying his derision towards Africans and dark-skinned Pakistanis during a debate, Imran has for all practical purposes shot himself in his international foot. I just can’t see him travelling overseas and receiving a decent reception anywhere ever again.

However, I am not shocked by Imran’s racism per se. This is because attitudes such as those displayed by Imran are very common among Asians as I have explained in one of my previous posts. However, the elite among Asians are usually good at hiding their prejudices. Unlike Imran.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imran racist is quite old. Read his book "All Round View" in which he tells us that his mother taught him that he was Pathan hence superior to his friends (Punjabis). Read the Pathan national anthem (in books like Afghania Hoshiarpur) it is full of racism. Imran's last book 'Warrior Race' is similar as it extols his starry eyed Pride in his Warrior Pakhtoon race. While this hypocrite lives in Lahore where the Taliban from his so called 'Warrior Race' kill women and children in bazars. He should move out of Punjab back to his tribal areas and take his "warrior race" back with him.

SAURABH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SAURABH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SAURABH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SWATI said...

Imran Khan is amazing. To know more about Imran Khan, you can browse through: http://htcity.desimartini.com

Anonymous said...

Please don't you dare talk about racism cuz just read your sentence again and you'll know.Every syllable is racist.

"This is because attitudes such as those displayed by Imran are very common among Asians as I have explained in one of my previous posts."

And before u say i even wasted my time reading your "previous post"...Really i need to get a life!

Anonymous said...

The guy is definitely racist! AND since he is a politician, he is supposed to lead the nation by example " BEING A POLITICIAN DOES NOT ALLOW HIM TO HAVE ATTITUDES THAT ARE VERY COMMON AMONG ASIANS". He dares to be racist in public so he is something else!!! And how is he superior? just because he is pathan? lolZZZ my grand mother is a pathan and my grandfather is from a SYED/ALAVI - SUNNI Famliy and no one in our family even mentions that they have pathan roots, they all take pride in being Syeds/Alvis;Having said that, no one thinks that they are superior to others. I am not being racist here just making a point that being Pakhtoon is nothing so special. BTW Pathans/Afghans were ISRAELIS/ JEWS! so what is so special if someone has an israeli/jew background?
Of course in Islam ALL ARE EQUAL regardless of their race or color.

I used to like him when i was a kid, but not any more! I believe that among the present politicians the most sincere to Pakistan is Nawaz Sharif.