Sunday 10 July 2022

Going Back To Duolingo To Learn French



And so, I went back to Duolingo after a 8 month break, mainly because its so convenient to use and suits my lifestyle. If I could attend an in-person class, I would do that, but my French learning is restricted to the time I spend commuting to work by taxi. I don’t drive myself, mainly so that I can practice French on Duolingo. I avoid the normal black and yellow taxis since they are usually noisy and stick to airconditioned Uber taxis, whenever possible.

I found the following changes in Duolingo from the time I signed off in July 2021.

  • Earlier, when there was one blank and two choices, the correct answer was always the second one. This is no longer the case now - the correct answer is often the first choice.  Did Duolingo change this after reading my previous post? I wonder!
  • Duolingo French had only 9 Units, but now a 10th Unit has been added
  • In each Unit, there is a 6th or legendary level. Earlier there were only 5 levels.  To clear the Legendary Level, one needs to complete four challenges without any hints or tips.
  • The number of Duolingo Stories seems to have increased. There are 72 Sets and each Set has 4 stories. Right now, I’m at the 61st Set.

I found these changes to be for the better.

As in the past, I am constantly prompted and encouraged to maintain my Streak and I am in some Leaderboard or the other. I am doing my best to not get distracted with such stuff and focus on my language learning.

No comments: